Reports to: Programme leader of the Centre
Study Centre: Hangzhou International Study Centre
Study Centre location: Hangzhou, China
Job Title: Lecturer in English for Academic Purposes (EAP)
Salary range (including currency): RMB 200,000 to RMB 300,000 (negotiable) per annum
Purpose and Responsibilities
- Contributing to a positive and supportive learning environment by using effective teaching strategies and promoting learning consistent with student needs.
- Contributing positively and appropriately as a member of the academic faculty, programme teams and the Centre in all academic-related activities.
- To contribute to the effective provision of specific modules and programmes and to work collaboratively with other academics and support staff in the Centre to develop students’ English language proficiency and study skills so that they can perform effectively on courses in an English-speaking university environment. Teaching should be underpinned by appropriate research and scholarly activity.
- To embrace fully the Centre’s objectives and ensure, with the resources available, the best possible learning experience and progression opportunities for the Centre’s students.
Note: precise responsibilities may vary from time-to-time to meet the needs of the Centre:
- To design and teach lessons at the appropriate level and quality as required by EAP curricula. You may also be required from time-to-time to contribute to or lead modules and programmes.
- To work collaboratively with others to support students in their learning and development of appropriate study skills and subject-specific knowledge relating to business, art and design, research methods and cognate subjects.
- To design and mark formative assessments and monitor students’ learning, in conjunction with other lecturers where appropriate.
- To engage pro-actively with partners, viz. NCUK (Northern Consortium UK) and external organisations as required.
- To be involved in setting, invigilating, and marking examinations when required.
- To undertake research and scholarly activity relevant to EAP and its application to programmes offered by the Centre and the wider research objectives of the Centre.
- To maintain accurate records of student performance and of teaching and learning activity. To monitor student attendance and, as required, to prepare appropriate reports.
- To participate, as required, in meetings associated with the operation and management of programmes.
- To offer pastoral care tutorials to a group of students: to monitor their progress, to guide them on development of independent learning skills and time management, to advise on appropriate social skills for living in the UK or other countries with universities in the NCUK network and to offer support and academic counselling where required.
- To be responsible for the safe keeping of any equipment, books or other Centre resources used in connection with academic and administrative activities and to observe all health and safety requirements.
- If required, to participate in promotional and marketing activities related to the programmes offered by the Centre.
- To support and contribute fully to the activities of the Centre relating to its involvement in the UN Principles for Responsible Management Education (PRME) and associated networks.
- To carry out any other duties commensurate with this post as required by the Executive Director of the Centre or nominee.
Qualifications and Experience
- First or Master degree or equivalent in cognate area; professional qualification e.g. CELTA or equivalent )(Essential).
- PhD; professional body qualification of relevance to the programmes offered by the Centre (Desirable).
- 1. Minimum two years’ experience of teaching English for Academic Purposes at one or more levels in the range of middle to higher education.
- The ability to contribute to integrated teaching across curricula.
- Demonstrable ability to undertake research and scholarly activity.
- Demonstrable cross-cultural awareness and understanding.
- A commitment to teamwork, to working flexibly and to seeking solutions to problems.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills including experience in teaching English as a second language.
- Competence in the effective use of Information and Communications Technologies (ICT).
- Knowledge or prior experience of NCUK programmes
- Practical industry experience
- Record of publishing research in international
- Specific experience of education in China.
- An understanding of UK higher education and the needs and requirements of international students.
- Experience of the development of academic programmes.
- Experience of academic assessment and standards and of quality assurance procedures.
- Experience of teaching non-native speakers of English.
KPI: To be separately communicated
Insurance: Medical insurance provided
Housing Allowance: RMB 3000 per month
Flight reimbursement range & frequency: Annual round trip flights to home country provided (maximum of 10000 RMB)
Z-VISA reimbursement: Yes
How to apply
Please send your current CV and education diplomas along with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org (Cindy Xing).
Application deadline: Open for applications, this vacancy will remain open until a suitable candidate has been found.
Please click here for further information.