Study Centre: Shenyang International Study Centre
Study Centre location: Shenyang, China
Job Title: Lecturer in English for Academic Purposes (EAP)
Salary range (including currency): CNY 20,000-24,000 per annum
Qualifications and Experience
- A relevant academic qualification at UK graduate level.
In addition (also Essential):
EAP: A recognised diploma in teaching English as a second language (e.g. Trinity or DELTA)
- Relevant teaching experience (Essential). Normally a minimum of two years. This experience should relate to the delivery of a Western-style syllabus using Western conventions and methodologies. Significant teaching/programme management experience at a reputable university may also be acceptable.
- The ability to contribute to integrated teaching across the curriculum (Essential).
- An understanding of UK/western higher education and the needs and requirements of international students (Essential).
- Direct experience of further and higher education in an international context (Essential).
- Specific experience of education in the UK, USA, Australia, Canada or New Zealand (Desirable).
- Experience of the development of academic programmes (Desirable).
- Experience of academic assessment and standards, and of quality assurance procedures (Desirable).
- Experience of teaching non-native speakers of English (Desirable).
- An understanding and appreciation of private-sector education (Desirable).
- Experience of living and working in China (Desirable).
- Demonstrable cross-cultural awareness and understanding.
- A commitment to teamwork, to working flexibly and to seeking solutions to problems.
- A record of achievement in teaching.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills including experience in teaching English as a second language. Numerate and articulate.
- Competence in the effective use of Information and Communications Technologies (ICT).
- Proven planning and organisational skills and an ability to take initiative within curriculum and policy objectives.
- The ability to contribute to study programme development.
- The ability to set, review and mark formative and summative assessments in line with a published syllabus.
- A record of attention to detail, thoroughness and fairness.
- The ability to prioritise, meet deadlines, work under pressure and, when necessary, with minimal resources.
- Outward looking and student sympathetic.
- A team worker.
- Flexible with the ability to solve problems, to put in the time necessary to do the job, to take decisions and to accept responsibility.
- A willingness to learn, to improve personal teaching effectiveness and adapt.
- Credibility with colleagues and in the wider international academic community.
- Practical with high integrity, honesty and ethical standards.
- Enthusiastic and committed with stamina and a positive attitude.
Hours worked per week: 20 hours teaching, plus 20 hours office maximum
Centre specific information: If the chosen candidate is located outside of China, they should follow the latest China entry requirements and process.
How to apply
Please send your current CV and education diplomas along with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org (Wayne Hao).
Application deadline: Open for applications, this vacancy will remain open until a suitable candidate has been found.
Interview date: Flexible, to be confirmed
Start date: As soon as a suitable candidate has been found