Travel Advice

Travel advice for international students

Have a look below at the travel information that we have gathered for you. Here, you will find the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions and you will also be able to access links to important information provided by official government sources.

This information is updated regularly, so please have a look at it frequently as travelling rules may change from time to time.

The information below has been last updated on 25/11/2021

Travelling to the UK

From 22 November, the government will be simplifying travel rules for all under-18s coming to England from a non-red list country or territory, who will be treated as fully vaccinated at the border, regardless of their individual vaccination status. This means they will be exempt from self-isolation requirements on arrival and will only be required to take a lateral flow test post-arrival, with a free confirmatory PCR test if they test positive.

Will I need to take a coronavirus test before travel?

From 22 November, the government will recognise vaccines on the World Health Organization’s Emergency Use Listing (WHO EUL) at the border. As a result, Sinovac, Sinopharm Beijing and Covaxin will be added to our existing list of approved vaccines for inbound travel, benefitting more fully vaccinated passengers.

Will I need to quarantine on arrival?

If you are fully vaccinated you must:

Even if you are not fully vaccinated, the fully vaccinated rules apply if you are:

  • under 18 – see Travelling with children in this guidance
  • taking part in an approved COVID-19 vaccine trial in the UK or the USA (US residents only for USA trials), or a phase 2 or 3 vaccine trial that is regulated by the EMA or SRA
  • unable to have a COVID-19 vaccination for a medical reason which has been approved by a clinician under the medical exemptions process, and you are resident in England

If you are not fully vaccinated you must:

After you arrive in England you must:

There are currently no countries or territories on the red list for travel to England.

If you are travelling to Scotland, the rules may be slightly different, so please have a look at the official travel guidelines here.

If you are travelling to Wales, you can check the official travel guidelines here.

Will I need to be vaccinated?

No, you do not need to be vaccinated to enter the UK. Please note that if you are vaccinated, you will still be required to provide a negative COVID 19 test result upon arrival and follow the rules depending on vaccination status.

Further information & travel advice

If you would like to have a look at the UK Government’s website for the last news and updates regarding travelling, please click here.

Travelling to Canada

To be able to enter Canada as a student you must have a valid study permit or a letter of introduction that shows you were approved for a study permit and you must be attending a designated learning institution (DLI) with a COVID-19 readiness plan approved by its province or territory

Even if you qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller, you must have a 14-day quarantine plan in place before arriving in Canada. The border services officers will make the final decision about whether you qualify as a fully-vaccinated traveller.

See the list of DLIs with approved COVID-19 readiness plans

Will I need to take a coronavirus test before travel?

All travellers entering Canada must follow testing and quarantine requirements to keep everyone safe. Under certain conditions, you may be exempt from some of these requirements.

Find out if you’re exempt from any testing and quarantine requirements

Will I need to quarantine on arrival?

Unvaccinated travellers over the age of 12 are not required to quarantine upon entering Canada if they meet the following conditions:

  • have a medical contraindication for getting a COVID-19 vaccine, and
  • comply with the public health measures outlined in the handout provided to them at the border

You are required to quarantine for a period of 14 days after travel if:

  • You are not fully vaccinated
  • You are not given the fully vaccinated traveller exemption at the border (eligibility will be determined at the border)

Further information:

Will I need to be vaccinated?

No, you do not need to be vaccinated to enter Canada.

Starting on 30 November 2021, 03:01 AM EST, three additional COVID-19 vaccines approved for use by the World Health Organization will be accepted for travel to and within Canada.

  • Sinopharm (also referred to as Covilo)
  • Sinovac (also referred to as Coronavac)

Further information & travel advice

You can have a look at all the up-to-date Government of Canada information on study permit-related issues, travel restrictions and exemptions here.

Travelling to Australia

From 1 December 2021 fully vaccinated international students will be able to arrive in Australia. Arrivals to Australia may only enter and travel between New South Wales, Victoria and the Australia Capital Territory without quarantining.

For Western Australia students must either quarantine for 14 days if flying direct, or arrive in one of the above states, wait 14 days and then enter Western Australia. For South Australia, arrivals must quarantine for 7 days (at home).

Will I need to be vaccinated?

Australia considers arrivals to be fully vaccinated if they have completed a course of a Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) approved or recognised vaccine. This includes mixed doses. Current vaccines and dosages accepted for the purposes of travel are:

  1. Two doses at least 14 days apart of:
    1. AstraZeneca Vaxzevria
    2. AstraZeneca Covishield
    3. Pfizer/Biontech Comirnaty
    4. Moderna Spikevax
    5. Sinovac Coronavac
    6. Bharat Biotech Covaxin
    7. Sinopharm BBIBP-CorV (for 18-60 year olds).
  2. Or one dose of:
    1. Johnson & Johnson/ Janssen-Cilag COVID Vaccine.

Vaccinated arrivals will need to present a foreign vaccination certificate that meets all of the requirements outlined on the Australian Passport Office website.

Arrivals with acceptable proof they cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons, and children under 12 can access the same travel arrangement as fully vaccinated travellers. Arrivals will need to provide proof of a medical exemption. They should also check any requirements, particularly quarantine requirements, in the state or territory to which they are travelling.

Arrangements are also in place to allow unvaccinated or partially vaccinated children aged 12-17 years to travel with a fully vaccinated parent or guardian.

Travelling to New Zealand

New Zealand has announced it will reopen its borders to vaccinated arrivals in the opening months of 2022. The border will open in stages and it is expected that international tourists, will be able to travel to New Zealand from 30th April 2022.

Countries classed as “very high risk” will be excluded from this list (urrently only Papua New Guinea).

Travelling to the USA

If you are applying to a university in the USA, you will be pleased to know that universities are planning to return to on-campus delivery. The full details are yet to be confirmed so please keep an eye on the updates to not miss any important information.

Will I need to take a coronavirus test before travel?

Yes, all travellers will be required to present a negative COVID-19 test, including U.S. citizens and fully vaccinated people, taken within 3 calendar days of departure. This is a requirement to be able to board any flight bound for the USA.

There might be some travelling restrictions depending on the country you travel from. To find out the latest information please click here.

Will I need to quarantine on arrival?

Effective from 8 November 2021, all non-immigrant, non-citizen air travelers to the United States will be required to be fully vaccinated and to provide proof of vaccination status prior to boarding an airplane to the United States.

Exceptions to this policy will be extremely limited:

  • children under 18
  • people medically unable to receive the vaccine
  • emergency travelers who do not have timely access to a vaccine

Humanitarian exemptions to this order will be granted on an extremely limited basis.

U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents (LPRs) who are eligible to travel but are not fully vaccinated will need to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test one (1) day before their flight’s departure. U.S citizens and LPRs who are fully vaccinated will need to present airlines with proof of vaccination and of a negative COVID-19 test three (3) days before their flight.

Will I need to be vaccinated?

Yes, you do need to be vaccinated to enter the USA.

Further information & travel advice

For more information regarding travelling to the USA, please click here.

For COVID-19 country-specific information, please click here.

To check the information available at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), please click here.

Visit your State Health Department website to look for the latest information on where to get tested here.

To check California’s travel guidelines, please click here.

NCUK is here to support you on your journey to a university education so please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.

You can reach out to our team by emailing