Frequently asked questions

Below, you will find the answers to some of the most common questions around starting university this new academic year and how to prepare for it.

Can I travel to my study destination?

There have been some concerns from students about what will happen if they are not able to travel in September. Universities are putting measures in place so students can start their studies online and travel to their study destinations when they are able to.

Universities are doing all they can to ensure the learning and student experience is of the highest quality whether students are able to get to their destination or need to start their studies on line. If there are questions about a specific university and options please speak to the Student Support team.

What are the quarantine arrangements and are there any additional costs?

The UK has introduced a red, amber and green rating for each country and whether you have to quarantine upon arrival will depend on which country you are travelling from.

For more information, please check our travel advice section by clicking here.

Can I get food?

There is always food available and most groceries are open everyday. You can even find many shops that are open 24 hours!

Supermarkets are also delivering food to your doorstep. You just need to place the order, pay online and book your preferred delivery slot.

There are also many options if you want to get a takeaway delivered such as Just Eat, Uber Eats, Deliveroo and many others! Keep an eye for any online vouchers and get the best deals.

Can I study online without coming to the UK?

Universities are preparing to welcome students in person on campus and intend for face-to-face teaching to be the norm. However, universities are looking at online learning options for students who are unable to travel because of Covid-19.

The options will very much depend on your university and your degree course. Universities are working around the clock to ensure that you get the best quality of education and we encourage you to contact your university directly to discuss the academic and study options available to you.

For more information on what your university has planned for the new academic year, please click here.

Please note that it is unlikely there will be online options for degree courses with practical and workshop elements. This includes Medicine, Dentistry and Engineering courses. Your university will be able to confirm what online options are available for each course.

Can I defer my offer to 2022?

Any students wishing to defer their offer need to speak to NCUK’s Student Support team directly – – who will check with your university regarding the options. Please note that it is not always possible to defer your offer.

Is there any support being offered to students arriving from Red List countries who need to quarantine?

Universities are offering support packages to students arriving from Red List countries. Please see the website and communications from your university for specific information. You can access the university websites here.

If I started my studies remotely, will I be eligible to apply for the Graduate Immigration Route/Post Study Work visa?

The UK government has confirmed that students who started a one-year master’s course in September 2020 will remain eligible for the Graduate route visa, provided that they enter the UK before 21 June 2021. Students who started in January 2021 will remain eligible for the Graduate route visa, even if they are studying remotely, provided that they enter the UK before 27 September 2021. Please note that your university may require you to arrive before this date. This will be dependent on your university and degree course. It is advised you check with your university for specific information.

Will I be able to get the COVID-19 vaccine in the UK?

International students who live in the UK and are registered with a GP (general practitioner) will be able to access the COVID-19 vaccination in the UK, just as they are currently able to access healthcare. When students start their university studies they will get information on registering with a GP.