Role: Senior Lecturer of English for Academic Purposes
- Job Title: Senior Lecturer of English for Academic Purposes
- Department: School of Language, Education and Culture
- Work city: Shanghai
- Location: The Sino-British College, University of Shanghai for Science and Technology (1195 Middle Fuxing Road, Shanghai 200031)
- To design and teach lessons at the appropriate level and quality as required by the programme syllabus. You may also be required from time-to-time to contribute to or lead modules and programmes.
- To work collaboratively with other lecturers to support students in their learning and in the development of appropriate study skills.
- To design and mark formative and summative assessments and monitor students’ learning, in conjunction with other lecturers where appropriate.
- To engage pro-actively with partners, viz. NCUK (Northern Consortium UK), University of Huddersfield, and external organisations as required.
- To be involved in setting, invigilating, and marking examinations when required.
- To undertake research and scholarly activity relevant to language teaching and to the wider research objectives of the College.
- To maintain accurate records of student performance and of teaching and learning activity. To monitor student attendance and, as required, to prepare appropriate reports.
- To participate in meetings associated with the operation and management of programmes.
- To contribute to the activities of the College’s Academic Success Centre, intended to develop students’ independent learning skills and provide general academic support.
- To support the College’s overarching themes, i.e. of responsible leadership, enterprise and innovation, cultural empathy, and activities intended to underpin them.
- To be responsible for the safekeeping of any equipment, books or other College resources used in connection with academic and administrative activities and to observe all health and safety requirements.
- If required, to participate in promotional and marketing activities, regionally, nationally or internationally, related to the programmes offered by the College.
- To contribute to the College academic community by participating in its activities including conferences, seminars, discussion groups etc.
- To carry out any other duties commensurate with this post as required by the Head of School or nominee.
Qualifications & Skills
- Master’s Degree.
- ELT qualification, e.g. CELTA or equivalent.
- DELTA or equivalent.
Essential Skills and Experience:
- The ability to contribute to integrated teaching across the curriculum.
- Demonstrable ability to undertake research and scholarly activity.
- Demonstrable cross-cultural awareness and understanding.
- A commitment to teamwork, to working flexibly and to seeking solutions to problems.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills including fluency in English.
- Competence in the effective use of Information and Communications Technologies (ICT).
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Previous experience of teaching in higher education.
- Record of publishing research in international journals.
- Specific experience of education in China.
- An understanding of UK higher education and the needs and requirements of international students.
- Experience of the development of academic programmes.
- Experience of academic assessment and standards and of quality assurance procedures.
- Experience of teaching non-native speakers of English.
How to apply:
To apply for this position, download the application form here. Once completed, please send to HR@sbc.usst.edu.cn. To enquire further, please contact Roy Chen at HR@sbc-usst.edu.cn or call +86 21 64741117.
Application Deadline: Friday 30 November 2018