Your Options After Studying in Australia


Post-study in Australia: your rights

If you’re interested in studying at a university in Australia, you might well be wondering what your work options are after graduation. The good news is, that the country offers excellent opportunities for you to stay and temporarily work there once you’ve completed your degree. Check the Australian Department of Home Affairs (DHA) website for the most up-to-date information, but here’s a brief summary of the options available. 

Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485)

If you want to continue living, studying and working in Australia after completing your studies, the Temporary Graduate Visa gives you a fantastic opportunity to do just that. The Visa has two streams: the Post-Study Work stream and the Graduate Work stream.

The Post-Study Work stream

If you’ve recently graduated from an Australian university with a degree, you may be eligible for this stream. It allows you to live, work and study in the country temporarily, but the duration of the visa varies according to your qualification and, in some cases, even the type of degree you have:

  • 2 years with a Bachelor’s degree or 4 years with a select Bachelor’s degree
  • 3 years with a Master’s degree or 5 years with a select Master’s degree
  • 4 to 6 years with a PhD
  • Hong Kong and British National Overseas passport holders may stay for 5 years

The Australia Department of Education website has a comprehensive list of select degrees that offer extended post-study working rights.

If you studied in Adelaide, Perth or Newcastle and plan to continue living in one of these regional areas, you may also be eligible to extend your Temporary Graduate visa by a year through the Second Post-Study Work stream.

Newcastle Australia

The Graduate Work stream

This is designed for international students who have recently graduated with skills and qualifications that are relevant to specific occupations that Australia needs. It allows you to live, study and work in Australia temporarily, typically for 18 months, although Hong Kong and British National Overseas passport holders may stay for 5 years.

To be eligible, you must plan to work in an occupation on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) and have gained a qualification closely related to that occupation – for example, if your degree is in Physiotherapy and want to work as a Physiotherapist,.

You should also be aware that the MLTSSL is regularly updated, so there’s a chance that occupations listed when you started your course may no longer be on the list when you graduate. You can stay updated on the latest changes by referring to the DHA website.

Additional Requirements

Depending on your qualifications, intentions and location, there may be additional eligibility requirements that apply to your options post-study. These may change over time too, so for the full list of requirements always refer to the DHA website.

Further help

Besides regularly visiting the DHA website for the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding work visa options for international graduates in Australia, you can get help with any questions regarding visas and application processes from NCUK. Just contact our team directly.