Get to where you want to be with the University Access Programme in Business.
The University Access Programme in Business is a one year pre-university preparation programme designed to help enhance your English language and study skills to progress to an undergraduate degree at a UK university. Successful completion of the programme will provide you with direct entry into the first year of a business-related degree course at an NCUK University (see university progression options below).
Why study the University Access Programme?
The University Access Programme in Business is an ideal solution for students who do not quite meet the entry requirements for the NCUK International Foundation Year but who still want to start their journey to a UK university. It will develop subject knowledge, study skills and English language competency to a level suitable for smooth progression to undergraduate study.
The programme has strong focus on the enhancement of the English language ability and building of the necessary skills to become an independent, autonomous learner which is required by all UK universities.
How does it work?
If you have completed your high school education outside of the UK, you will more than likely be required to study an additional qualification to be able to gain entry to a UK university. The University Access Programme in Business is a one-year qualification which provides you with direct access to university.
What modules will you study?
The programme starts with 5 weeks of dedicated English Language Skills modules to uplift your English language competency.
Over the remaining 25 weeks, you will then study three areas of business (Management, Finance, Marketing) as well as Maths, a Business Project, and NCUK’s English for Academic Purposes which is recognised as proof of English language by NCUK University Partners which can also be used for UK visa purposes.
In addition to the subject modules, you will have an opportunity to also take the self-access module, ‘Skills for Success’, designed to deepen your academic skills.
How will you be assessed?
You will be assessed through a combination of assessments including coursework and examinations:
- The Finance, Management, Marketing and Maths modules will each be assessed by an examination taken at the end of the academic year.
- The Business Project module will be assessed by a single piece of coursework submitted towards the end of the academic year. The Business Project will require you to use the knowledge and skills developed in the Finance, Management and Marketing modules to produce an answer to a business problem.
- English for Academic Purposes (EAP) will be assessed via a combination of coursework and examinations
Students will be awarded a Pass/Fail grade for the overall programme. In order to pass the programme, students must receive a minimum of a Pass grade (50-100%) in each subject (Finance/Management/Marketing/Maths/Business Project) and a grade C overall in English for Academic Purposes (with a minimum of grade D in each component).
What Universities can you progress to?
Successful completion of the University Access Programme will enable you to progress to an undergraduate degree in business at the University of Kent or Leeds Beckett University.
- University of Kent is one of the UK’s leading universities and attracts many NCUK students each year, it is a global university with outstanding teaching, modern facilities, award-winning student support and welcoming study locations. In the most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2021, Kent was confirmed as a leading research university, with eight subjects ranked in the top ten for research quality and seven in the top 25.
- Leeds Beckett University has been awarded 5 Stars in the QS World Rankings 2021. With 91.1% of its graduates in work or further study within 15 months of graduating, the University offers the best teaching environment to prepare you for your future.
What are the entry requirements?
Students who would like to complete the University Access Programme are expected to have successfully completed 12 years of school education to a defined level and have an English language level of at least IELTS 4.5 or equivalent.
Detailed, country-specific entry requirements are available below
Where can I study the University Access Programme?
The University Access Programme will be delivered by experienced teaching staff at NCUK Study Centres from September 2022. More information about specific Study Centre locations will be announced soon.