Find a course for: University of Otago
Download these results as:
About the University of Otago
As New Zealand’s first university, founded in 1869, the University of Otago has earned an international reputation for excellence in research and teaching. Otago is ranked in the top 1% of universities in the world (QS World Rankings) and offers 200+ undergraduate and postgraduate programmes across Business, Health Science, Humanities, and Science subjects.
Otago is renowned as one of the top research universities in the Asia-Pacific region and produces the most winners of national teaching awards of any university in New Zealand. The academic staff profile is diverse and truly world-class, with one of the highest proportion of internationally-trained academic staff in the world – helping to provide a global perspective and foster international collaborations.
Otago offers students an unrivalled campus experience and a vibrant, social student culture. The majority of Otago’s 21,000 students live, work and play in Dunedin – New Zealand’s only true university city. Students are supported by dozens of dedicated on-campus support services, ensuring that students get the very best out of their time here.
Numerous accommodation options are available, including 15 residential colleges, which provide a supportive environment that enables students to develop their independence, build a social network and succeed in their academic endeavours. Outside of the classroom, Otago students are spoilt for choice with over 150 student clubs and societies to get involved in; forested hills, beaches, incredible wildlife and a beautiful natural harbour on the doorstep; and lakes, mountains and world-class ski resorts within a few hours’ drive of the city.
Why Choose the University of Otago?
- A national presence, with our main campus in Dunedin, and specialised campuses in Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, and Invercargill.
- New Zealand’s top university for student performance and retention (TEC Educational Performance Indicators 2019).
- 85% of students at the university come from outside of Dunedin to study here.
- The University of Otago is made up of 21,000 students, including 3,000 students from 100+ countries.
- 95% of students at the University of Otago progress to further studies or work.
Awards and Achievements
- The University of Otago School of Business is one of less than 100 Business Schools to be dual accredited by EQUIS and AACSB, the two leading international agencies.
- The university is one of only 12 institutions in the world to receive a maximum 5 Stars Plus rating (QS Stars 2018-2021).
- Proud to be 1 of the 7 members of the Matariki Network of Universities.
- The University of Otago is consistently ranked in the top 200 universities of the world, placing Otago in the top 1% of universities in the world (QS World University Ranking 2021).
- The University of Otago Business School is ranked 10th in the world (QS Online MBA Rankings 2020) and is a Tier One Global MBA (CEO Magazine Global MBA Rankings 2020).
- Ranked in the Top 30 for Climate Action and in the Top 40 for Clean Energy (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020).
If you are an international student thinking of studying at the University of Otago, you may be eligible for a scholarship. Please click here to view the scholarships available for students.
The University of Otago offers a wide range of degree programmes, please click here to search through the full list of degree courses available in their 2021 prospectus.
University of Otago
University of Otago,
PO Box 56, Kelburn Parade,
Phone: +64 3 479 7000