Find a course for: University of Otago
Download these results as:
About the University of Otago
As New Zealand’s first university, founded in 1869, Otago has an international reputation for excellence in research and teaching. The University is in Dunedin, a city in the lower South Island with a population of 130,000; around 21,000 of whom are students.
Education is the main industry of Dunedin, making it the true ‘student city’ of Australasia. The compact campus has a vibrant, social student culture and offers an unrivalled experience, with world-class teaching and research labs, a marine studies centre, libraries, performance spaces, study areas, and sports facilities, including a state-of-the-art recreation facility.
Why Choose the University of Otago?
- Otago graduates are globally employable, with 95% of students going directly into work or further study
- Over 200 undergraduate and postgraduate subjects to choose from offering ultra-flexible study options
- The main campus in Dunedin has been recognised as one of the most beautiful university campuses in the world
- National presence: as well as the main Dunedin campus, Otago also has campuses in Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, and Invercargill
- There are over 140 student clubs and societies to choose from at Otago, so you will find it easy to make new friends and discover new interests
The undergraduate experience at Otago is unique, with 85% of students coming from outside Dunedin. Otago’s 14 residential colleges, each with its own identity, history and traditions, provide an environment that allows new students to develop their independence, build a social network and succeed in their academic endeavours. Everything is close, with most accommodations within a 10-minute walk of campus, and the city centre within a 15-minute walk.
No other city in New Zealand provides the same opportunities to get out and explore. Dunedin is surrounded by fantastic beaches, hills, and harbour waters, offering possibilities for a range of activities, from surfing and kayaking to mountain biking and paddleboarding. World-class ski resorts are only a few hours’ drive away – including the popular city of Queenstown. The beauty surrounding Dunedin must be seen to be believed.
Awards and Achievements
- Ranked in the top 1% of universities in the world with the highest possible international quality rating (QS Stars)
- New Zealand’s top university for educational performance (NZ Tertiary Education Commission)
- The Otago Online MBA is ranked #1 in New Zealand (QS Online MBA Ranking)
- For seven of the past ten years, Otago teachers have won the Prime Minister’s Supreme Award for Teaching Excellence – a record unmatched by any other New Zealand university
- The University of Otago is the first university in New Zealand to achieve Fair Trade status (Fairtrade New Zealand)
- Proud to be 1 of the 7 members of the Matariki Network of Universities
If you are an international student thinking of studying at the University of Otago, you may be eligible for a scholarship.
Our many support services include a dedicated international support team; disability support; campus healthcare; accommodation; and campus watch staff who are there 24/7 to offer help and advice.
University of Otago
University of Otago,
362 Leith Street, Dunedin 9016
Phone: 0800 80 80 98 for student enquiries from within New Zealand OR +64 3 479 7000 for student enquiries from outside New Zealand