International Foundation Year
About St. George’s University (SGU)
Founded in 1976 with the goal of drawing the best talent and practices from around the world, St. George’s University (SGU) has become a leading center for academic excellence worldwide. With students and faculty drawn from more than 150 countries, SGU is truly an international institution, with a uniquely global perspective, perfectly poised to help educate students in this rapidly changing world.
St. George’s University School of Medicine has a four-year Doctor of Medicine degree program or offers five-, six-, and seven-year Medical Degree Pathways with entry points available for students from any education system around the world. SGU has a large network of 75+ affiliated hospitals and health centers in the US and UK and also has a unique opportunity for students to begin their medical career in Grenada, the United Kingdom, or India.
Why Choose St. George’s University (SGU)?
- SGU is the #1 provider of doctors into first-year US residencies for the last eight years. Over 950 US residencies in 2022. (Data as of March 2022)
- Students can start their medical career in Grenada, the UK, or India.
- SGU has contributed over 19,000 physicians to the global physician workforce, with students, graduates, and faculty from over 150 countries.
- 97% USMLE Step 1 pass rate for international first-time test takers over the last three years. (Based on the latest three years of available data: Average of 2018, 2019, and 2020 scores. International students are non-US students)
University Awards and Achievements
- SGU is the largest source of physicians licensed in the US—more than any other medical school in the world. (According to US News and World Report, 2021-2022)
- SGU has nearly as many international students as all US medical schools combined. (Data as of October 2020. International student enrollment in US medical schools = 1,294; SGU international student enrollment = 1,267. These numbers do not include US citizens or permanent residents.)
- SGU graduates have practiced at all US News and World Report Top 20 US Hospitals. (According to FSMB physician licensure data, 2020)
SGU offers partial-tuition needs-based bursary programs for international students.
St. George’s University (SGU)
St. George’s University,
St. George’s, Grenada,
Request further information